E-Mail address options
By default, a CERN Mailbox is provided with most CERN Accounts, associated with a CERN address like
If a user prefers to use an external E-Mail account for reading mails, such as his home-institute E-Mail account
he has 2 options:
- Option 1: Set a forward on his CERN Mailbox (My Accounts -> Set Forward):
- The user keeps his address firstname.lastname@example.org and his CERN Mailbox
- All the mail traffic is forwarded to the specified E-Mail address
- The CERN phonebook will continue to show email@example.com as the E-Mail address for the
- Option 2: Use an external E-Mail address and delete CERN Mailbox (My accounts ->
Provide or update an external email address, Use an external email address):
- The user deletes his CERN Mailbox, the address firstname.lastname@example.org is replaced by the
external E-Mail address.
- The CERN phonebook will show the external E-Mail address of the user.
- Mail sent to email@example.com will still be routed to the external address.
At any time during the user's stay at CERN, he can specify an external E-Mail address to the system.
Once he/she will leave, and after the grace period, the external E-Mail address will replace his/her CERN Mailbox
(if any), and the mail traffic will follow.
At anytime before leaving, the user can also configure his E-Mail as described in section above (Alternatives).